Don Carlos, Bukidnon :
Don Carlos is a 1st class municipality in the province of Bukidnon, Philippines. Based on the Population Commission 2000 census data, it has a population density of 55,495 people in 10,713 households.
Formerly, this place is once a vast pasture land and forested areas, that is now the location of the present Municipality of Don Carlos, was part of the cattle ranches of the Elizalde’s, the Guingona’s and the Roceses before the outbreak of the World War II.
When the country obtained its independence from the Americans in 1944, the Bukidnon Lumber Company, which was owned jointly by Howard Denison and the Fortich family, was transferred from Barrio Sinangguyan to an area near Lake Pinamaloy. The establishment of this sawmill marked the beginning of the continuous influx of migrants as settlers in this place either as workers, merchants or farmers.
As a result, a barrio began to build-up within the vicinity of the sawmill. At that time, the leaders in the place named the barrio, “Menduso” derived from the Visayan word “duso” meaning to push. This term described the poor condition of the road at that time when trucks and buses had to be pushed or towed before they can pass through the area.
Barrio “Menduso” celebrated its first fiesta in January 1935. This was also the time that the leaders changed the name to Don Carlos in honor of the late Congressman Carlos Fortich. It had undergone a period of transition before becoming a regular municipality. Atty. Segundino Violon was appointed by President Diosdado Macapagal to be the acting Mayor for a period of one year.
On June 18, 1966, Don Carlos was converted into a municipality under Republic Act No. 4800. The first elected Mayor was Teodulo M. Palma, Sr.
Don Carlos is politically subdivided into 29 barangays.
* Calao Calao
* Don Carlos Norte
* New Nongnongan (Masimag)
* New Visayas
* Old Nongnongan
* Don Carlos Sur (Pob.)
* San Antonio East
* San Antonio West
* San Francisco
* San Nicolas (Banban)
* San Roque
Site Map :